Using Scales in the Kitchen


Many of us have the same resolution in the New Year. Basically to lose weight and get healthy. We go on diets start amping up our exercise till one day we just quit and we are right back where we started. I plan on trying a new approach this year. I have introduced a kitchen scale into my diet.
Portion sizes are one of the main reasons for weight gain. Many of us eat way more than our portion size when it comes to meals. A kitchen scale will help keep me on track and make me accountable for what I put in my body. This why I do not have to deprive myself of things I crave. It just allows me to be smarter about how much of it I eat and to cut back on my intake of unnecessary calories.

Below I have listed the recommend serving sizes for each Food Group:

Food Type1,600 Calories2,000 CaloriesExamples of One Serving
Grains

At least half of your servings should be whole-grain.
6 servings per day 6-8 servings per day
  • 1 slice bread
  • 1 oz dry cereal (check nutrition label for cup measurements of different products)
  • 1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal (about the size of a baseball)
Vegetables
Eat a variety of colors and types
3-4 servings per day 4-5 servings per day
  • 1 cup raw leafy vegetables (about the size of a small fist)
  • 1/2 cup cut-up raw or cooked vegetables
  • 1/2 cup vegetable juice
Fruits
Eat a variety of colors and types
4 servings per day 4-5 servings per day
  • 1 medium fruit (about the size of a baseball)
  • 1/4 cup dried fruit
  • 1/2 cup fresh, frozen, or canned fruit
  • 1/2 cup fruit juice
Fat-free or low-fat dairy Products2-3 servings per day 2-3 servings per day 
  • 1 cup fat-free or low-fat milk
  • 1 cup fat-free or low-fat yogurt
  • 1 and 1/2 oz fat-free or low-fat cheese (about the size of 6 stacked dice)
Lean meats, poultry, and seafood3-6 oz (cooked) per day Less than 6 oz per day 
  • 3 oz cooked meat (about the size of a computer mouse)
  • 3 oz grilled fish (about the size of a checkbook)
Fats and oils
Use liquid vegetable oils and soft margarine most often
2 servings per day 2-3 servings per day
  • 1 tsp soft margarine
  • 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp regular or 2 Tbsp low-fat salad dressing (fat-free dressing does not count as a serving)
Nuts, seeds, and legumes3-4 servings per week 4-5 servings per week
  • 1/3 cup or 1 and 1/2 oz nuts
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 2 Tbsp or 1/2 oz seeds
  • 1/2 cup dry beans or peas
Sweets and added sugars0 servings per week 5 or fewer servings per week
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp jelly or jam
  • 1/2 cup sorbet and ices
  • 1 cup lemonade

I use a kitchen scale it help me stay within these guidelines and to maintain a healthy weight. The scale I use is the Pyür Digital Kitchen Scale, which can be found here. This scale is great and I would definitely recommend it. This scale can weigh up to 5kg/11lbs in graduation of 0.05 oz (1 gram), it calculates the net weight of the ingredients, and converts from ounces to grams and pounds to kilograms. It is very easy to use, clean, and store. The Pyür Digital Kitchen Scale's large LCD light is easy to read. This scale is great for professional cooks and the average person. It also has a 1-Year satisfaction guarantee. 

Below I have linked many kitchen scales all under $30. Who is joining me and taking back their life by making sure they do not over eat?


No comments :

Post a Comment